Friday, August 19, 2011

Organizing Post

For the last couple of months I've been taking a break from homeschool planning and instead spent some time organizing my home and my schedule.
I found various organizing blogs that helped me create a planner that suited all of my needs so I don't keep forgetting the things that need to be done and also how to get rid of clutter and hot spots all over my home so that I don't need to spend too much time looking for the things that I need.

My first find was of course Pinterest. Pinterest is a virtual pinboard where you can "pin" pics of the things that you love. I started by looking at homeschool rooms and from there I kept finding pics of family command centers. That's when my journey into organizing really took off.

Here is a pic of my new family command center. The purpose of the command center is to have a place upstairs where I can keep track of mail, appointments and things. My real command center of course is my desk downstairs, but I found that I needed something upstairs as well.

This is what it looks like now... everything I need upstairs is in here!

Next I found Organized Home.com, where I was able to create my own household notebook planner, blogs like Simple Organized Living and Organizing Your Way also allowed me to make a plan as to how I wanted to organize my home.

I did a lot of purging in the last few weeks, I tackled the basement first, my home office and the kid's desk areas. Here is a look.
Here is DH's side, I was able to give him the smaller desk and we added a shelf above it.
I added a new filing cabinet, a couple of baskets, the phone sits here as well. This is also where I keep my household notebook. I updated my filing system as well...

Here is the pic that inspired my new filing system!(I found it at Pinterest!) Mine is not color coded but it looks pretty similar, I needed two filing cabinets instead of just one.
Next we organized the entry way, we needed more wall hooks so my Dh made me a brand new one using hooks we already had! It is semi homemade! This is the one by the front door.This is another one Dh made me by the back door!My room! I added hooks to hang my bags instead of having them all over the floor.
There is a hook in Dh's side of the room as well for his Club bag to hang nice and neat!
I also decided to organize the bathroom closet. Yes, those are Flylady cleaning equipment right in there!

The room closets were organized as well, all closets throughout the house! I'm sad to say this is the end of the organizing projects for now, school is starting next week and Clubs is starting in two weeks and so is co-op. I need to focus on those things now. I do have one last project, my bedroom night lamps.
I will be going to Ikea (YYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYY) in the next couple of weeks to buy them.... Hopefully all these changes will make this coming year a lot easier to manage, that is after all the point of organizing!