Monday, August 22, 2011

Organizing Post II

Last on the organizing list was my linen closet. This proved to be my most difficult project to date. I have tried to organize this thing before and was never very successful.
I tried to follow the advice of this organizing book that I had recently purchased, Organize Now!: A Week-by-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life by Jennifer Berry. Linen closet is on week 39 but I wasn't going to wait that long! Btw this book is excellent!!!

She writes that you really only need two sets of sheets per bed, three if you have a flannel set for winter. Needles to say I have more than three sets. The kids' bed have four sets ea plus two flannel sets ea. I also have extra sets for guest's beds. That's a lot of sheet sets!! Plus blankets and pillows, again for guests. I have a lot of our winter stuff in space bags but that still did not create enough room for everything.

Thank God my very cleverly smart Mother in law suggested I keep the kids' sheets in a plastic storage box in their own rooms. Plus we have an under the bed storage box that we only use for Roxbury, I decided to put all the flannel sheets in that and under A9's bed.
Then I purchased three plastic storage boxes, one for ea of our rooms. I also got rid of a couple of sets that were not being used at all. This is what the linen closet looks like now!I also followed the books advice on putting over the door hooks on every door.

Linen closetCoat closet
A9's door (found them at Target for $2.50)
X7's door
Bathroom door
My bedroom door
Basement door
I'm so happy that we were able to do everything I wanted to get done before school starts this past weekend. We have one more week of summer vacation!!!!