Tuesday, January 4, 2011

School Week 19 2011

This week should be school week 18, but since we did two days of school(3 days if you count what did on Wednesday for Nature Study) the last week of school, I'm counting that week as the 18th.
Which makes this week the 19th week of school!

We are rowing our last FIAR Vol 4 book, Hannah's Cold Winter. The book is a curious true incident incorporated into a pleasant glimpse of a Budapest family during WW II.
After this book, all of the rest of the books we are reading for the rest of the year will take a whole week to read. Did that make any sense??

Usually we read the same book four times a week. The books we are reading this semester will take a week to read. I'm adding one more book this semester, A Midsummer Night's Dream for Kids by Shakespeare Can Be Fun! We saw the play this past November and I thought A8 would enjoy reading the play.

We are done with spelling and cursive. We are also done with Language Lessons for the Very Young 2 and are starting Primary Language Lessons. I was a bit worried that A8 was not going to like it, since it is a little different from LLVY2, but she is really enjoying it.. it really is a great fit! We are doing a small unit on Synonyms, Antonyms and Homophones and after that we'll start doing vocabulary.

I wanted A8 to continue to have some type of cursive practice this semester when I found Pictures in Cursive A (Daily Cursive Writing Instruction Based on Picture Study Lessons).
The thing is, it was a bit pricey at $12.95 + shipping for only 12 weeks of lessons, so I made my own! Instead of 12 weeks I made it for 15 weeks. It was a lot of fun making my own and I'm thinking of doing more of them, all I need is a binder machine!

We are also starting Writing Strands 2.

X6 is rowing winter books this week and we are working on a winter lapbook. Nothing has changed for him, we will be doing plenty of RME, handwriting and math!

We are done with Zoology 1 but will continue to do nature studies this semester. We built our own bird feeder today, but that's another post!