Friday, September 11, 2009

Letter Factory

I'm still trying to figure out what type of learner X5 is. I know he learns by hearing, because there's been many times I've read a book to A7 while X5 was in the room playing with somethings else and he knew the details of the story I was reading.

I know he learns by watching what others do and I know he learns by doing hence the reason he is so good at computer games. How do I use that to teach him how to read though?

He is not very good with the alphabet, he knows about 3/4 of the alphabet. I'm told he does not need to know the name of the letters to learn the sounds the letters make. The thing is he is not very interested in any of it... so I visited other homeschool blogs with 4-5 yr old boys learning how to read. One Mom posted about this Leap Frog DVD Letter Factory.

She said it really helped her 5 yr old son get interested in letters and their sound! I went ahead and bought it from Amazon.com. It is about 30 minutes long which is perfect. The kids watched it today and X5 loved it!, he kept pointing to the letters on my keyboard and telling what their sound was... yeah!!!!!