Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Homeschool

So here I am homeschooling a kindergartner and a second grader. The first two weeks everything seemed to be going fairly smooth. They were both doing the same unit study so they were both doing the same activities. The only difference, X5 was doing K activities and A7 was doing 2nd grade activities, which is the beauty of unit studies.

My decision to row beforeFIAR books with X5 seemed logical at the time. That is how I started with A7, nice simple books just right for a kindergartner.

The books that I scheduled for A7 are a bit meatier. Next year for third grade we are rowing books from FIAR Vol 4, so I wanted to finish all of the books from Vols 1-3. I felt very confident that I had a great plan for this new school year.

Now for the reality... rowing two different books is a tricky thing. You see, most of the activities that we do revolve around the book we are reading. Which means each kids is doing two sets of completely different activities, which means they both need me for all of the activities that have to do with the book they are rowing.

The problem is there is only one of me.... cloning is out of the question :)

My Dear Husband came up with a solution... start school with X5 first. FIAR only takes about half an hour, then Reading made easy about 15 mins and last math... 10 minutes!
That gives me about an hour of school with X5, strickly table time without counting the other activities in his boxes.

If I start school with him at 9:15-9:30 we would be done by 10:15-10:30. If A7 starts school at 10 then she can do other things like independent reading, keyboarding or whatever she has in her boxes then once I'm done with X5, A7 and I can row her FIAR book, activities, math & lang arts. That also takes about an hour. While she doing this X5 can be downstairs playing with his Legos, Knights, etc.

By 11:30 she would be done with her table time, that way any other school stuff we are doing like, spanish, Bible, games, crafts or special activities can be done with both of them. No need for a clone!

We eat lunch around 12:30 so that gives us a solid hour for the "other stuff". After lunch they get to do their own kid oriented learning.... more of a unschooling flavor.
Here's hoping my Dh is right!!!