Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Workboxes Update

It's been over a week and I can honestly say the workboxes were a great investment! X5 knows exactly what to do during school. He'll look all the boxes over just to see what he's going to be working on, then picks #1 goes at it, then #2 and so on.

Today he worked on all the boxes without a break! He did not want to stop. I have to say he is doing so much better than I expected with this. During the summer he didn't even want to go near them.

Here is A7 at the end of school doing her 15 minutes of reading on her favorite place to read, our couch.
I wanted to do an update on our Art curriculum. I wanted a more hands on, getting dirty type of art stuff and I found this art book: Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters
Featuring more than 150 activities, this guide teaches the styles, works, and techniques of the great masters—Van Gogh, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, and more.

I also purchased
Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists. These are books about different artists, composers, etc..

We'll be doing art study on Wednesdays, take three to four weeks learning about an artist and his paintings and do one project to go with the study. The plan is to learn about two artists per semester. We are going to start with Michelangelo and Leonardo(DaVinci is where he is from, not his last name, I've been told). Then next semester we'll learn about Picasso and Van Gogh.

In between the artists study we are going to be using How to Teach Art to Children, Grades 1-6. I've had this book for a while but I'm finally going to use it with the kids.

This year I finally have art covered!