Thursday, August 13, 2009

Spoiled

"Podcasting is a blessing and a curse. I had no idea anybody could preach an entire message where Jesus was the point until I heard Mark Driscoll. But it’s a curse too, because it has seriously spoiled us for appreciating our own pastors..." Jared Wilson

I am living this quote right now. I was part of Roxbury holiness camp this past week. Four days and three night around the Body of Christ from all different BIC churches in the area. That was a fantastic experience and I can't wait to have it again next year.

The other side of Roxbury is the services. There is a service every night during the week and a morning and night service on the weekends. There are also 2 sessions every day during the week. One in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

I was part of the 1:30 session were we talked about how to "be" the Church instead of just "going" to Church. It was a great class were everybody participated and gave their insights on what being the church really looks like.

The night services however were an entirely different story. After being spoiled by podcasts from Mark Driscoll, John Piper, Francis Chan and Matt Chandler it's a little difficult to listen to a speaker preach about anything but Jesus.

I wasn't there the whole 10 days so I'm not sure what was preached earlier in the week, but while I was there there was not enough Jesus... I'm sorry, it just really bothered me.

Now let me explain something, the night services were packed! I mean some people had to sit outside it was so full. What a wonderful opportunity to share with all those people the only reason we were all sitting there, Jesus. What a wonderful opportunity to lead people into repentance and to start a heart transformation that leads to the constant pursue of God.

But that's not what I experienced in the night services I attended. It was more about getting everybody in a high, about making people emotional. Now don't get me wrong, the speakers were good, their messages were good but they were not Jesus centered.

One speaker went a whole hour talking about the Holy Spirit and God and how they want you not to give up on your dreams, but no Jesus, I don't remember him ever mentioning the name of Jesus(except at the end of his prayer), it was crazy! Not only that but he had no Bible verses to back any of it up. Yet when he asked people to come to the front tons of people went up.

Another speaker during the Sunday morning service had a wonderful message that called people to repent and follow Jesus, only two people went up to the front.

I realize that a lot of these christian functions are really big on the "get people emotional" type of thing, but you know what, I can watch Oprah and get emotional. I even cry!
They want big altar calls and they need people to get emotional to get them, I guess talking about Jesus and repentance doesn't get people emotional enough.

I wish I was able to explain better how after listening to Pastors like Driscoll, Chandler(podcasts) I get angry and sometimes offended. How I have to wrestle with all of the things they said in my heart and come to the conclusion that I'm sinning, that I need to repent and ask Jesus to transform my heart to be more like His.

That is the goal, that should be the goal, transformation and the pursuing of God through Jesus, not a lot of tears over a sad or moving story.

I'm spoiled, I want more Jesus.