Thursday, May 28, 2009

Summer Plans & Beyond

Starting in June the kids are going to be spending about an hour, three to four days a week , reviewing some of the things they learned in school this past year.

A_7 will be practicing her reading, writing and math facts, while X_4 will be practicing his name, numbers, colors and shapes.
I have these really simple phonics readers for A_7 to read this summer plus she'll be finishing her printing book. I also have a practice sheet for her to practice the unknown number that was giving her a little bit of trouble in the last few weeks of math u see.

I have been working on a new system of school for us. More on the organization end of school anyways. It is called the Workbox system. Here is the website where I found out all about it.
I went ahead and purchased the book. It has so many great ideas on how to organize your school so that you get to use all of those wonderful things homeschoolers buy for their kids and never get around to using.
Here is what is going to look like for A_7. She has 10 folders. Everyday she will go through each folder and get her work done that way. Some folders have a "work with mom" label, that means she will need my help with whatever is in that folder. Other folders she'll be able to work on independently. That way I will have more time to spend with X_4 since he is really going to need me for K.
This is what the workbox system really looks like and this is how I'm going to be using it with X_4.

  • One wire shoe rack
  • Between 6 and 12 clear plastic shoe boxes, which you can find at Walmart or Target for less than a dollar. I'm only using 9 boxes with X_4 for now.
  • Velcro dots
  • Schedule cards

Here is the schedule cards for both kids. it pretty much shows which boxes they are to do, when to take a break, or any other activity that is not found in boxes. Things like piano practice, games or computer time.

It also has a log in/log out of school pocket, I'm not sure if we'll even remember to do this, but it's fun to have nonetheless!
I have a few things in the workboxes for the kids to do during the summer, hopefully by the time we start school in the Fall this will be second nature to us!

If you purchase the book, you'll have access to all the downloads to print out the schedule cards and other labels.