Monday, August 29, 2011

School Weeks 1 & 2 2011-2012

Dampf Homeschool is back in business!  BTW week 1 was our time at Roxbury. The kids had activities twice a day, every day plus a public music presentation on the last Saturday. That very much counts as school, plus they had nature study, music, physical ed and lots of reading while we were there.

Week 2 is this week. We will be reading lesson 1 from our Zoology 3 book. Usually the first lesson is the longest so I wanted to spend two weeks on it(next week is only a three day week because of labor day and co-op). Both kids are going to be a part of this.

A9 is also going to be starting American history by reading the book Voyage on the Great Titanic: The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady.

Something I forgot to add on my planning post for A9 is Life of Fred.  Life of Fred is a different approach to math.  A9 needs all the help she can get with this subject so I went ahead a purchased it.  She is a reader so I hope she is going to enjoy it.  We are going to start with Apples, I also have Butterflies (these are the elementary books, plus Cats and Dogs).  BTW X7 will also be in on this although he has no problems with math whatsoever!  Life of Fred is going to be used as a supplement to Math U See, we will continue to use that as well.

Not sure if I'm going to jump into everything right away, I usually like to start slowly.  We probably won't do any writing or language lessons this week.  She will be doing the spelling. 

X7 is going to be rowing the book Henry the Explorer, last year we read Henry the Castaway and he loved it! So I thought we should start the year with a Henry book!

 X7 will be starting Math U See Beta.  It covers a lot of subtraction, which is not a favorite of his, but hopefully adding Life of Fred will make it a bit more interesting for him.  That and Explode the Code is all we are going to do this week.  Like I said I like to start the year slowly. 

Here we go again!