Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Retooling the Workboxes

A few posts ago I made a comment on how X5 is doing great with the workbox system but A7 isn't. I decided to go right to the source and ask her why she didn't like them and if there was any way I could make it better for her.

She likes how X5 has his boxes but not how she has them, you may remember his look like this,
and hers looked like this...No more! I don't have the room for another rack like X5 has, but I do have room for something like this...This is the Iris 6-Drawer Mobile Chest, found it at Office Max and it is a perfect workbox! I like the clear one better. This is what her station looks like now...
You can't take the drawers out but we came up with "move the label" system. At the beginning of school the numbers are in the middle of the drawer, once she is done with that box she moves the label to the right of the drawer as you can see in the above pic.

There are only 6 drawers but that's okay. Anything extra I can just add to her schedule strip, things like free reading, read aloud, games etc. Those kinds of things don't need to be inside a box.

She loved it! She knew exactly what to do this morning, hardly needed my help. Needles to say, today we had a great school day. Yes, they do exist!