Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Reading Made Easy Workbook

For the past two years I used Reading made easy with A7 for phonics and reading. It is 108 lessons which take about 20 minutes 2 - 3 times a week. It took us two years to go through the whole book. A7 learned how to read and write because of this book!

I'm planning to use this same book with X4 this coming Fall. I was fully aware that what worked for A7 may not work for X4. Part of what worked with A7 was the fact that she got to draw right along with doing her copy work, that really helped her out because she loves to draw.
X4? not so much!

I was wondering how I was going to get around that when I came across this wonderful post from Blog, She Wrote!

Reading made easy now has a companion workbook. I looked at a few sample pages from the workbook and it looks like something X4 would enjoy doing. It is a different approach to RME that I know will suit X4 just great!!

Valerie has developed a series of four workbooks to supplement the Reading Made Easy curriculum manual. Each workbook contains review material to accompany 27 lessons in Reading Made Easy. The workbooks include:
· word/picture match-ups and other exercises to strengthen phonetic and decoding skills.
· sentences, poems, and rebus stories to develop reading comprehension.

· copy work passages from Reading Made Easy with space to complete the writing exercises.

· space for the drawing and creative writing exercises suggested in Reading Made Easy.


The workbooks are in pdf. format. The cd is $25. It is my understanding that they will be available in hardbound copies at a later date. I went ahead and purchased the CD, I enjoy printing my own! I have the RME manual as a pdf. as well.