Thursday, May 14, 2009

End of School


We are done with school! Last week was another busy one, making sure everything got done. I decided to get an evaluation even though we don't need to do that for 1st grade. In PA the age a child must start school is 8 years old, anything before that is not really required.

Of course I wanted to know what to look forward to with these evaluations so I went ahead and got one done. A dear friend from Church just happens to be a certified evaluator or whatever the term is so she did it.

She looked at all the curricula we used this year, she looked at all the lapbooks, workbooks and projects we did. She was very pleased with everything! Finally she asked A7 to read from any book she wanted. A7 picked The Runaway Bunny, one of her favorites! She read the whole book!
Once again our evaluator was very happy with what she heard, called her a "fluent reader"!

She did give me some tips of things I need to show for future evaluations and for when I need to start handing this in to the local school district.

  • A book list of both, school required reading books and additional just for fun books.
  • Curriculum list
  • Unit study list
  • Field trip list
  • calendar showing days we did school(180 days)
It was good to know I don't need to hand in a record of what we did for school every one of those 180 days like I've been doing.

I'll still keep a record of what we do everyday, but it's for me to know what we've covered and when. I don't need to let the district know that stuff.

I'll post soon about what we are doing this week and what my plans are for June and next Fall.