Saturday, April 18, 2009

Space Unit Study

After Easter vacation I knew I would need to do something really fun to get the kids back into school mode. I decided to do a space unit study. We are going to be covering this in depth probably in the third grade. For now I just wanted to get the kids familiarize with the names of the planets, what is a star system and the milky way.
We had a lot of fun creating the solar system plus the kids got to watch Magic School Bus' Space Adventures.

We got to do science and math and took a break from reading and writing.
Well, not really a break from reading since A7s been picking up any and every book she can get her hands on and reading it!
When we first decided to homeschool our kids a lot of veteran homeschoolers told us all about the "book library". How every free space in our home was going to be covered with books. Now I understand. I'm going to have to add a few more book "totes" since I don't really have any room for anymore bookcases. So far I have two book totes in the living room... They are no longer enough! I have book piles all over the living room, bedroom and even the bathroom.


I can just see what my house is going to look like when X4 starts to read! He enjoys having books read to him, and he likes to leaf through them. I'm already working on building a library of books he'll enjoy. Lots of action and mystery type boy books.

I've been told that once your children can read and enjoy reading, your job as their teacher becomes a lot easier....here's hoping!!