Monday, January 12, 2009

How do we Homeschool?

Hmmm...this is a tricky question. I would call myself an eclectic homeschooler. I do unit studies (FIAR), we do Charlotte Mason Method, stuff like reading living books, copy work, nature studies. Bible character studies as well.
We are doing Letter of the Week with X4 which is pretty much a poster with you guessed it, the letter, number, shape and color of the week.


We also do a bit of unschooling, especially with my son.
Once we are done with formal school(reading weekly book, work on lapbook, math, phonics, copy work) I let my kids loose and just let them pursue their own interest, of course there is no tv, no video or computer games. I try to make sure the place is filled with lots of books for them to pick up and read or just look through. A6 loves to draw, so I make sure there is plenty of paper and crayons, color pencils around for whenever creativity strikes.
Toys like legos, Lincoln logs, puzzles, building blocks stuff like that. Not everything has to lead to an educational experience, but the truth is they have tons of fun playing with this stuff.

Right now they are really into Star Wars Clone Wars, they got lots of action figures for Xmas and they are constantly playing with that and making up stories.

We practice piano everyday and listen to Suzuki everyday. I'm starting to introduce other music cds as well. Since they are into Clone Wars right now they've been listening to the Episode I soundtrack.

Plus they get to run, jump, kick, dance, throw all over the house and in the backyard. We have a park right next to us and lots of grass right behind our house, perfect for little boys who just want to run!

For right now all of these things are working just great for us, I'm sure it will change as the kids get older and we get into more things.