Thursday, January 10, 2008

Winter Nature Study Part 1



I finally purchased FIAR's Winter Nature Study! It has a lot of good info on what to do with you kids during the winter months, as far as nature study.
Why is nature study so important? For kids in elementary grades learning about the world around them, things like birds, insects, trees, etc. is the best way to teach science. You and your kids are out there experiencing all these things instead of being inside learning them from a text book.
This past summer we had a blast doing just that. We learned about butterflies, praying mantis, crickets, tadpoles, you name it! This fall we learned about what happens to the leaves this time of year and how a Woolie-bear caterpillar is a sure sign it's autumn. Which brings us to winter.
I am not a cold weather person, I usually spend my winter days inside, but since we are homeschooling we need to be out there and see what happens to nature during the winter months.
Snow, ice ... that's all I know about winter. Then I read about certain birds associated with winter. Cardinals, Jays and one I had never heard of before Chickadees.
We then decided to set up some bird feeders to see if we could attract any of these birds and that would be part of our winter nature study! We have a pole near our tree with three feeders on it. They have to be away from the house because the birds around here don't like getting too close to people. This way they are at a good distance from us but close enough that we can see them just fine. We put it up yesterday and we haven't seen any birds yet, but hopefully soon.
I also want to hang up a squirrel feeder, I'm just not sure where?!
If I get any good pics of Cardianls or Jays I'll post them here!