Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Unit Studies


Our homeschool curriculum is Five in a Row, which is a manual containing mini unit studies based on different childrens illustrated books. We really enjoy doing school this way.
A few days ago I purchased this book: Unit Studies Made Easy by Valerie Bendt.
It gives me the tools I need to pretty much do a unit study on any topic, book, you name it, that my kids may be interested in. Some may take only a week, other studies can take four weeks to a whole semester. The best thing about it is, if both my kids want to learn about dinosaurs or Noah's Ark, I can teach them both at the same time using the unit study. Of course the younger one would not be required to do the same amount of work as the older, but that way I don't have to teach A5 one thing and then teach X3 another. They can both work together, do research together etc. I'm already planning a few unit studies for next year!!